Just moments ago at Comic-Con, director Zack Snyder announced that Batman and Superman will be teaming up on the big screen in the upcoming Man of Steel sequel. The film is expected to hit theaters in 2015.
We will be updating this post as more information becomes available.
UPDATE (7:20 p.m. EST):
Basically, here’s how it all went down:
Zack Snyder walked on stage at the Warner Bros. panel and said:
It’s official, we’re going to make another Superman movie. And you say, Zack, what is the movie about? But you don’t want me to tell you that. You want to go and see the movie. But I can say that maybe there’s a single element that will be in the film that I could help you out with. I was thinking about how to do that. I pored through the DC Universe to look for a way to tell this thing. We’re writing the thing now, but I came across a thing I found that’ll help you understand it.
Then Harry Lennix, who played General Swanwick in Man of Steel, read this line from Frank Miller’s The Dark Knight Returns:
I want you to remember, Clark…in all the years to come…in your most private moments…I want you to remember…my hand…at your throat…I want…you to remember…the one man who beat you.
As if that wasn’t enough to take everyone in the room over the edge, they took it a step further by displaying a picture that COMBINED the Superman and Batman logos.
There you go. Superman and Batman together in next movie. pic.twitter.com/cw6IuRG6TO
— Eric Vespe (@EricVespe) July 20, 2013
And the crowd went nuts. Even the moderator lost it.
And Zack Snyder threw up a Superman logo in a Batman logo. The crowd excitement rattled the stage. I screamed joyously. #SDCC13
— Chris Hardwick (@nerdist) July 20, 2013
According to The Hollywood Reporter, Henry Cavill will be reprising his role as Superman, but as of right now, there’s no information on who will be playing Batman. We can pretty much count out Christian Bale, as the actor has confirmed he will not be taking part in the upcoming Justice League film. Amy Adams, Laurence Fishburne, and Diane Lane will also be returning for the sequel, which will be scripted by Man of Steel’s David Goyer.
Snyder also said that while the movie won’t be an adaptation of Miller’s The Dark Knight Returns, they are using the film as one source to help tell some of the story of the Superman/Batman dynamic.
Shortly after the panel wrapped up, Warner Bros. released an official statement about the announcement and project, which stated production on the film is expected to begin in 2014. It also confirmed that the studio would bring back Charles Roven and Deborah Snyder as producers, with Christopher Nolan and Emma Thomas serving as executive producers alongside Benjamin Melniker and Michael E. Uslan. In talking about the project, Snyder said:
I’m so excited to begin working again with Henry Cavill in the world we created, and I can’t wait to expand the DC Universe in this next chapter. Let’s face it, it’s beyond mythological to have Superman and our new Batman facing off, since they are the greatest Super Heroes in the world.
Diane Nelson, President of DC Entertainment, added, “Superman and Batman together on the big screen is a dream come true for DC fans everywhere. All of us at DC Entertainment could not be more excited for Zack’s continuing vision for the DC Universe.”
As previously mentioned, the Man of Steel sequel is projected to hit theaters in 2015.