Working Title Films have launched the website for True Love, a BBC One television series of five 30-minute episodes starring ex-Doctor Who actors Billie Piper and David Tennant. The website includes some shiny new pictures, which you can see at the bottom of this post. Before you roll into a ball of reunited-Rose-and-Doctor squilliness, the extent to which Tennant and Piper’s stories will cross over is unclear, particularly as Piper’s story seems to involve her falling in love…with a lady. A very little lady, as it’s one of her students (played by the terrific Kaya Scodelario — Effy from Skins), but not David Tennant all the same. The series will be directed and written by Dominic Savage, although the episodes are “semi-improvised” and the programme is described on the website as:
“a cast-led ensemble show with real heart that explores five surprising and overlapping love stories set in the same town, each story looking at a different relationship.”
David Morrissey also stars — he will be familiar to Doctor Who fans from his role in “The Next Doctor” as well as to Tennant fans as one of the lead actors in Blackpool.
The website synopsis of each character’s story is as follows:
- “Nick (David Tennant) is happily married: his wife and children are everything to him, but when his first love appears out of the blue he suddenly starts to question everything. Can they go back to what they had all those years ago?”
- “Holly (Billie Piper) is a young unfulfilled teacher who is in an unsatisfactory relationship with a married man. She suddenly finds herself drawn to one of her female pupils. What would happen if she were to act on these feelings?”
- “Sandra (Jane Horrocks) is facing the fact that her marriage has become stale over the years – when her youngest child leaves home she realises that her husband have little to say to one another, and besides this, he’s also having an affair.Then she meets someone who couldn’t be more different from her, but somehow makes her feel alive again – can she throw everything up for this younger man?”
- “There’s nothing really wrong with Paul’s (Ashley Walters) life – he’s got a lovely wife, a baby boy, a nice house… it’s just a bit ordinary, a bit lacking in excitement. Then he catches sight of a girl on his way to work and feels an instant attraction – could this really be love at first sight? What happens when you act on this?”
- “Adrian (David Morrissey) is a divorcee who has been searching for true love. It’s not been easy but he’s not giving up. Still a romantic, he believes in it whole-heartedly, despite his failed marriage. Just when he thinks he might have found it, he finds that he is the victim of another obsessive love that threatens to scupper his future.”
I know it’s not the geekiest of television programmes but… Tennant! Piper! Morrissey! Kaya Scodelario! Will any of you be watching? Read more on the official website and check out the photographs below. True Love will be on screens near you in Spring 2012.