Welcome to GeekyNews’ weekly music round-up! Sundays are all about what’s been happening in the music world. From festivals to awards, videos to albums, and big releases to all around going-ons, we’ll have it all. Plus, the end of each round-up will feature my top 5 must-listen songs of the week.
First Round of 2016 Grammy Performers Announced
As we inch closer to February 15, the excitement surrounding the 58th annual Grammy Awards grows with every announcement. This week, the question of who will grace the Grammy stage was answered on the award show’s social media pages. The first round of performers includes Little Big Town, The Weeknd, Lionel Richie, Kendrick Lamar, and Adele. The eclectic group is joined by Pitbull and Justin Bieber, both of which were added just a few minutes ago. There is still plenty of time for the lineup to grow, but it has definitely started out strong. Who else do you think will make an appearance?
Hoodie Allen and Meghan Tonjes Team Up for “Are U Having Any Fun?”
Hoodie Allen gave his fans a big surprise this week, dropping a brand new album on Friday. Along with the original announcement, he released a video for the album’s lead single, “Are U Having Any Fun?,” which features two-time Leaky/GeekyCon guest Meghan Tonjes. The Happy Camper track incorporates the two different artists perfectly, with Hoodie’s strong verses and Tonjes’ rhythmic choruses. While Tonjes is absent from the video, its video game theme and crazy antics make up for it.
Zayn Malik Shares Single Release Date
Calling all fangirls! Zayn Malik shared the release date for his first solo single this week. The long-awaited “Pillowtalk” will drop on January 29. We still don’t know what the single will sound like, but Malik has promised that it will stray from the One Direction pop sound fans are used to. Now, I know that five days is a long time to wait, so here’s the very shirtless cover art to tide you over.
— zayn (@zaynmalik) January 24, 2016
See What Else We’re Excited About:
- Following the announcement of their album release date, Macklemore and Ryan Lewis have unveiled their newest track, “White Privilege II.” The eight minute track dives into the duo’s activist side, carrying a powerful message about race in America.
- Wiz Khalifa gave fans a taste of his seventh album with its first single, “Bake Sale,” featuring Travis Scott.
- Elton John shared a new song from his upcoming release, Wonderful Crazy Night. “Blue Wonderful” comes with a fanciful video that fits John’s aesthetic perfectly.
- Bonnaroo announced its 2016 line-up this week. The June festival in Manchester, Tennessee will include Pearl Jam, J.Cole, Ellie Goulding, LCD Soundsystem, Dead & Company, Macklemore & Ryan Lewis, Tame Impala, and more. You can check out the full line-up here.
- New singles this week include: “Figure Me Out” by The Summer Set, “Unstoppable” by Sia, and “Help Me Run Away” by St. Lucia.
Songs of the Week:
5. “Burn” – Hamilton (Original Broadway Cast Recording)
4. “Furthest Thing” – Drake
3. “Crazy = Genius” – Panic! at the Disco
2. “Long Way Down” – Robert DeLong
1. “I Took a Pill in Ibiza” (SeeB Remix) – Mike Posner