Welcome to GeekyNews’ weekly music round-up! Sundays are all about what’s been happening in the music world. From festivals to awards, videos to albums, and big releases to all around going-ons, we’ll have it all. Plus, the end of each round-up will feature my top 5 must-listen songs of the week.
All Hail the Queen: Rihanna Drops ANTI
The wait is over. Rihanna’s highly anticipated eighth album is finally here. The singer pulled a Beyoncé, dropping the album on TIDAL on Wednesday with no notice. Those who had been following her Samsung Anti DiaRy series over the past few months, which show the singer in seven goth Victorian scenes with a variety of eccentric characters, finally got a look at the final video featuring room 8 on the day as well. The album was released officially to the public on Friday.
Zendaya Takes the Stage for “Neverland”
Finding Neverland has captivated audiences night after night, and the magic has extended past the New York stage. Last summer, Finding Neverland: The Album was released featuring the musical’s songs re-imagined by the artists of today. This week, Zendaya brought her song, “Neverland,” to life in a sweet seven minute video. The story follows the singer as she attempts to re-create a song she heard in a dream. She has some trouble at first, but, no fear, Bryan Cranston is here to help.
Watch Coldplay’s Colorful “Hymn for the Weekend” Video + US Tour Dates
Coldplay made headlines this week with their video for “Hymn for the Weekend” from their recently released album, A Head Full of Dreams. The video follows the band as they venture through Mumbai, interacting with the city’s grand locations, bright culture, and some of the enthusiastic locals. What could make the video better? A little bit of Beyoncé. The singer, who lent her vocals to the track, makes an appearance in the video as a Bollywood movie star.
The band also announced their official US tour dates for this summer, which you can view here. Make sure to catch the band on the Super Bowl halftime show next week too!
See What Else We’re Excited About:
- Zayn Malik released his long-awaited single “Pillowtalk” this week, along with its official (and very trippy) video featuring model Gigi Hadid. During an interview with Zane Lowe, the singer also revealed his debut album’s title, Mind of Mine.
- Drake dropped a surprise single yesterday. “Summer Sixteen” comes from his upcoming album, Views From the 6, which will reportedly be released in April.
- The Grammys announced three duet pairs this week that will perform during the February 15 ceremony. Carrie Underwood and Sam Hunt will combine forces, as will Best New Artist nominees Tori Kelly and James Bay, along with Ellie Goulding and Andra Day.
- Kanye made waves this week…literally. The rapper renamed his upcoming album this week, switching the title from SWISH to WAVES. He also tweeted out what seems to be the track list for the album, but with Kanye, you never know what could happen.
- Fans got a sneak peek of tonight’s Grease Live! with a video for “Grease is The Word” featuring Jessie J. She will open the event tonight by performing her version of the song.
- New releases this week include Sia’s This is Acting, Charlie Puth’s Nine Track Mind, Tori Kelly’s Unbreakable Smile, and St. Lucia’s Matter.
Songs of the Week:
5. “Chills” – Down With Webster
4. “Objects in the Mirror” – Mac Miller
3. “Loft Music” – The Weeknd
2. “Wonderland” – Taylor Swift
1. “What If” – Bombay Bicycle Club