Welcome to GeekyNews’ weekly music round-up! Sundays are all about what’s been happening in the music world. From festivals to awards, videos to albums, and big releases to all around going-ons, we’ll have it all. Plus, the end of each round-up will feature my top 5 must-listen songs of the week.
Taylor Swift to Premiere “Out of the Woods” Video on New Year’s Eve
Oh, New Year’s Eve. A time for reflection on 2015, sharing hopes for a new year, and… fangirling over Taylor Swift’s new video. Yes, that’s right. The singer announced this week that her video for “Out of the Woods” will premiere on New Year’s Rockin Eve with Ryan Seacrest. Now we only have four days to figure out what the video will be like, and, knowing Taylor Swift, it could be virtually anything. Go, ahead, start screaming. We won’t judge you.
Carly Rae Jepsen Records Theme for Fuller House
Every good show needs a good theme song. It’s science. So, of course, Netflix would reach out to the best for its upcoming show, Fuller House, a reboot of the ABC sitcom. Carly Rae Jepsen put her spin on the show’s original theme song, “Everywhere You Look,” for the series along with producer Butch Walker. The singer is known for her retro vibe, so it will be interesting to see how she can modernize the song. Fuller House premieres on February 26.
Panic! at the Disco Goes Vintage With “Death of a Bachelor”
Ever wonder what it would sound like if Beyoncé and Frank Sinatra collaborated on a song? Well, you’re in luck. Panic! at the Disco released the official video for the title track of their new album called “Death Of a Bachelor,” and it’s the most modern swing track you’ll ever hear. With its simple black and white shots, the video has the perfect vintage aesthetic. Even though it focuses solely on frontman Brendon Urie, it still holds your attention to the very end. Death Of a Bachelor drops on January 15.
See What Else We’re Excited About:
- This week was packed full of holiday surprises including a few new tracks from our favorite artists including: Miley Cyrus & The Flaming Lips’ “My Sad Christmas Song,” Green Day’s “Xmas Time of the Year,” Radiohead’s “Spectre” (yes, it’s their rejected James Bond theme), and Melanie Martinez’s “Gingerbread Man.”
- Selena Gomez channeled her inner stalker in her newest video for “Hands to Myself.” Don’t worry though, this fun, lustful escapade doesn’t go totally ‘Gone Girl.’ You can check it out on Apple Music now!
- Speaking of “Hands to Myself,” YouTuber Troye Sivan put together a little mashup of Gomez’s song and Justin Bieber’s “Sorry” when he was featured on Jimmy Fallon a few weeks ago. Spoiler alert: it’s awesome. You can watch the exclusive clip here.
Songs of the Week:
5. “Moments” – Tove Lo
4. “Real Life” – The Weeknd
3. “Something in the Way You Move” – Ellie Goulding
2. “Sidewinder” – Catfish and the Bottlemen
1. “Trap Queen” – Fetty Wap