Welcome to GeekyNews’ weekly music round-up! Sundays are all about what’s been happening in the music world. From festivals to awards, videos to albums, and big releases to all around going-ons, we’ll have it all. Plus, the end of each round-up will feature my top 5 must-listen songs of the week.
Ariana Grande Channels Her Inner Spy for “Dangerous Woman”
As promised, Ariana Grande had a big surprise for fans this week, one that took form in the release of her new single, “Dangerous Woman.” The title track from her upcoming third album is definitely a new turn for the singer, taking on a strong, sexy sound that could headline its own spy movie. If anything, it will make for an awesome video (Ariana Grande as a kick butt female James Bond? A million times yes). In her double role as host/performer on Saturday Night Live last night, Grande performed the song along with another new track, “Be Alright,” a softer, soulful track in comparison. Dangerous Woman will drop on May 20. It is available for pre-order now.
Two for One: MKTO Returns With A New Single
Pop duo MKTO has resurfaced with a new single, the first since their 2015 EP, Bad Girls. “Hands off My Heart”/”Places You Go” is a unique start to their new path, fusing two songs and storylines together for a six-minute adventure. “Hands off My Heart” is a rhythmic, electronic pop song while “Places You Go” is a slower, acoustic-based track. The tracks fuse in a way that allows the unique elements to influence each other, making for an interesting listening experience. The duo is in the process of recording their sophomore album, but a release date has not surfaced yet.
Alessia Cara Heads into the Wild With “Wild Things”
Alessia Cara’s new video has the ultimate hipster Tumblr aesthetic. No joke. From her debut album, Know-It-All, Cara brings her single “Wild Things” to life in a night-time adventure with four of her friends. Between taking Polaroids in a dark sepia toned basement and running with sparklers in the middle of a dark forest, each shot brings a new moment of fun that will make you want to go on your own wild escape. The video fits the song perfectly, staying true to Cara’s truthful, youthful nature and her hipster aura. It provides a strong follow-up to her hit “Here” as well, which hopefully means it will see some radio play soon.
See What Else We’re Excited About:
- Iggy Azalea took to Twitter this week to announce the first single from her upcoming sophomore album, Digital Distortion. “Team” will be released on March 18, but we got a few surprises this week to tide us over including the TV-like distorted artwork and a preview of the song.
- Rejoice, Blink 182 fans! Your favorite pop punk band is back at it again making new music and, according to Mark Hoppus on Twitter this week, preparing to go on tour in the near future. The band has already shared clips of them in studio, but no official releases have been announced.
- It looks like Kanye West will have a lot of work to do 2016. The rapper shared his goal to release three albums a year, an announcement that follows the release of his seventh album, The Life of Pablo, in early February. Two more to go, Kanye.
- Recent Grammy winners Diplo and Skrillex, who collaborate on Jack Ü, announced that the project will release new music close to Coachella in April.
- Harry Styles of One Direction is trading a stage for the battlefield, taking a role in Christopher Nolan’s upcoming World War II film, Dunkirk.
- What singles should you be listening to? “Green Aphrodisiac” by Corinne Bailey Rae, “Misery” by Gwen Stefani, and “Like I Would” by Zayn.
- New releases this week include 3 Doors Down’s Us and the Night and Parachute’s Wide Awake.
Songs of the Week:
5. “Greek Tragedy” – The Wombats
4. “Out of the Woods” -Taylor Swift
3. “Bad, Bad, Bad” – LANY
2. “Shot for Me” – Drake
1. “Cool” – Troye Sivan