Happy New Year, and welcome to GeekyNews’ weekly music round-up! Sundays are all about what’s been happening in the music world. From festivals to awards, videos to albums, and big releases to all around going-ons, we’ll have it all. Plus, the end of each round-up will feature my top 5 must-listen songs of the week.
Let Festival Season Begin!: Coachella Lineup Announced
You know that festival season is right around the corner when you hear the word ‘Coachella’! The annual Indio, California festival announced its line-up this week, and it is totally epic. The three headliners are LCD Soundsystem, Gun N’ Roses, and Calvin Harris, who will close out the night for the festival’s two weekends in April. Other performers include Ellie Goulding, M83, Zedd, James Bay, Sia, the 1975, and more. You can view the full lineup below.
Iggy Azalea Drops New Song on SoundCloud
Iggy Azalea started the year off strong, releasing a new track called “Azillion” on SoundCloud. While it is still unknown if the track will be featured on the rapper’s upcoming album, Digital Distortion, it has given fans something to put on repeat until more details arise. The high energy synth track is perfect for the club scene, but it will be interesting to see if it gets any radio play in the coming weeks. Azalea has promised the official single from her album soon, so keep your eyes out for it!
Kanye West Returns with Album Announcement
Swish February 11 16
— KANYE WEST (@kanyewest) January 9, 2016
After releasing a new track on New Year’s Eve, Kanye West has come back with the biggest surprise of all: he is dropping his new album, SWISH, on February 11. Yes, that’s only a month away. Cue the excitement. We’ve already heard three potential songs from the release, including “Facts,” “Real Friends,” and “No More Parties in LA,” which West released online in the first few days of the new year. Now, after news like that, who knows what the rest of the year could hold for the rapper? A world tour? A collaboration with Taylor Swift? Finalizing his plans for the 2020 Presidential race? Anything could happen.
See What Else We’re Excited About:
- It’s gonna be…Fall Out Boy. The band recreated an iconic 2000′s moment for the “Irresistible” video featuring Demi Lovato, creating a follow-up to NSYNC’s “It’s Gonna Be Me.” Watch it now and look out for some familiar faces!
- Sia is gearing up for a very busy month with the release of her album, This is Acting, at the end of the month. The singer shared another track this week, an upbeat song called “Reaper.”
- This week, Shakira released “Try Everything,” a song for Disney’s upcoming film Zootopia. It is not surprising that Disney had her pen the song since she plays the role of a famous pop star gazelle in the movie.
- Beyoncé will return to the Super Bowl Halftime show this year, joining the members of Coldplay for their performance. Signs point to the two performing their collaborated track, “Hymn for the Weekend,” but anything could happen!
- New releases this week include: David Bowie’s Blackstar and Grizfolk’s Waking Up the Giants.
Songs of the Week:
5. “Somewhere Only We Know” – Keane
4. “FourFiveSeconds” – Rihanna, Kanye West, and Paul McCartney
3. “My House” – PVRIS
2. “Long Way Down” – Robert DeLong
1. “Radio” – Santigold