Welcome to GeekyNews’ weekly music round-up! Sundays are all about what’s been happening in the music world. From festivals to awards, videos to albums, and big releases to all around going-ons, we’ll have it all. Plus, the end of each round-up will feature my top 5 must-listen songs of the week.
“I don’t know where I’m going from here, but I promise it won’t be boring.” – David Bowie 1/11/16
Rolling In the Nominations: Adele Leads Brit Awards
We’re in the midst of awards season, and the nominations just keep on coming. The Brit Awards shared their nominees this week, and it is no surprise that Adele leads the pack with four nods along with James Bay and Years & Years. Calvin Harris, Jess Glynne, Mark Ronson, Ellie Goulding, and Ed Sheeran are also up for awards. The ceremony will take place on February 24 at London’s O2 Arena.
British Male Solo Artist
British Female Solo Artist
Florence & the Machine
Adele – “Hello”
Calvin Harris & Disciples – “How Deep Is Your Love”
Ed Sheeran & Rudimental – “Bloodstream”
Ellie Goulding – “Love Me Like You Do”
James Bay – “Hold Back the River”
Jess Glynne – “Hold My Hand”
Little Mix – “Black Magic
Olly Murs ft. Demi Lovato – “Up”
Philip George – “Wish You Were Mine”
Years & Years – “King”
MasterCard British Album of the Year
Adele – 25
Coldplay – A Head Full of Dreams
Florence & the Machine – How Big How Blue How Beautiful
James Bay – Chaos & the Calm
Jamie XX – In Colour
You can view a full list of nominees here and vote for your favorites!
John Legend and Lady Gaga Promise New Albums in 2016
The big question on everyone’s mind is: which big star will wow us in 2016 with a new album? Well, we already have a few on the radar. In an interview at AXE’s Find Your Magic Launch Event, John Legend said that he is almost done with his album and wants to release it during the summer or fall. Lady Gaga also teased that she will release something this year during an interview at the Golden Globes. And the waiting starts now.
Nina Nesbitt Starts Off Strong With “Chewing Gum”
Scottish singer Nina Nesbitt is starting the year off strong with a catchy new single, “Chewing Gum.” You may know Nesbitt from some of her early pop music, but it seems that a new sound is coming around with her new image. I discovered the song earlier this week, and I became instantly hooked. Its interesting alternative/rock/pop sound combine with the stand-out one-liners to make the perfect comeback song. I could definitely see it making its way on to the radio and up the charts in the near future. The song is the first from Nesbitt’s Modern Love EP (out February 5) and a part of her upcoming album as well.
See What Else We’re Excited About:
- YouTuber Ricky Dillon had a big week, dropping his first album titled Gold. He also premiered the album’s second music video for “Problematic” featuring Snoop Dogg.
- Charlie Puth announced a two month U.S. tour this week to support his upcoming album, Nine Track Mind. You can view the dates here.
- Ellie Goulding’s new video for “Army” payed tribute to her biggest supporters – her friend Hannah and her fans. Watch the super adorable video here!
- Do yourself a favor and watch Adele join James Corden for his ‘Carpool Karaoke’ segment. Yes, she does rap. And, yes, it is awesome.
- New releases this week include: Panic! at the Disco’s Death of a Bachelor and Ricky Dillon’s Gold. New singles include: “The Sound” from the 1975, “In the Dark” from 3 Doors Down, and “Over and Over Again” (feat. Ariana Grande) from Nathan Skyes.
Songs of the Week:
5. “Troublemaker” – Grizfolk
4. “18” – Anarbor
3. “Swimming Pools (Drank)” – Kendrick Lamar
2. “Objects in the Mirror” – Mac Miller
1. “Smoke” – PVRIS