Welcome to GeekyNews’ weekly music round-up! Sundays are all about what’s been happening in the music world. From festivals to awards, videos to albums, and big releases to all around going-ons, we’ll have it all. Plus, the end of each round-up will feature my top 5 must-listen songs of the week.
2015 American Music Awards Bring Their A-Game
Award shows are a dime a dozen these days, so each event is a new opportunity to raise the bar on the competition. Last Sunday, the 2015 American Music Awards did just that, bringing out some amazing performances. From Jennifer Lopez’s medley opening to Justin Bieber’s multi-song ending, there were moments in between for everyone to enjoy. Selena Gomez, Demi Lovato, Walk the Moon, One Direction, and Macklemore & Ryan Lewis gave compelling performances of their hits. Celine Dion gave an emotional tribute to Paris that didn’t leave a dry eye in the crowd. And, for all of us nerds out there, Pentatonix brought down the house with their Star Wars medley. Of course, there were awards for everyone, the winners of which you can see below. All I can say now is; Grammy Awards, you guys have some work to do.
- Artist of the Year: One Direction
- Song of the Year: “Blank Space” – Taylor Swift
- Favorite Male Artist (Pop/Rock): Ed Sheeran
- Favorite Female Artist (Pop/Rock): Ariana Grande
- Top Soundtrack: Pitch Perfect 2
- (See the full list of winners here)
Coldplay Heads to the Jungle for “Adventure of a Lifetime”
There have been some odd Coldplay videos in the past, but nothing can top this. The band brought out all the stops for the first single off of their eighth album, A Head Full of Dreams. “Adventure of a Lifetime” takes us on a wild journey into a jungle for an… ape dance party. Yeap, that’s right. The band had themselves animated into chimpanzees. While it may seem like a weird idea for a music video, it’s actually more fun than you would think. The band/chimps break out some awesome dance moves and prove that you don’t have to be human to have a great time.
Jamie Campbell Bower Brings The Heat With Counterfeit Rock
Who says Shadowhunters can’t rock? Actor Jamie Campbell Bower who is best known for his role as Jace Wayland in The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones shared the first music from his band, Counterfeit Rock, this week. Come Get Some features three tracks from the band and their sound might take you by surprise. With a mix of rock and punk, the tracks will definitely make you
look listen twice. If you live in Europe, you can catch the band on tour in December and January. Now you have another band to fangirl over. You’re welcome.
See What Else We’re Excited About:
- While Rihanna’s announcement last week was quite cryptic, this week brought more straightforward news. The artist will start her ANTI World Tour next February to support her eighth album. Along with opening acts Travi$ Scott (US), Big Sean (Europe), and The Weeknd (Europe), the tour will hit 63 cities across the world.
- Panic! at the Disco released a new song this week, “LA Devotee”. The high-energy, glamorous track acts as the third release from the upcoming January release, Death of a Bachelor.
- Sia wowed us once again with a new song from her upcoming album, This is Acting. “One Million Bullets” packs the same strength as her other singles and definitely has the potential to become a new action-movie credits song.
- Avicii took a new turn with his music video for “Broken Arrows” taking inspiration from a true story. Ever wonder how the ‘Fosbury Flop’ came to be? See the storyteller’s take on the iconic move in the video!
- New releases this week included: Listen Again by David Guetta, Wake Up by The Vamps, and Peace Is The Mission (Extended) by Major Lazer.
Songs of the Week:
5. “Rock Bottom” – Hailee Steinfeld
4. “Hotline Bling” – Drake
3. “River Lea” – Adele
2. “My Gun” – Tove Lo
1. “Soap” – Melanie Martinez