Welcome to GeekyNews’ weekly music round-up! Sundays are all about what’s been happening in the music world. From festivals to awards, videos to albums, and big releases to all around going-ons, we’ll have it all. Plus, the end of each round-up will feature my top 5 must-listen songs of the week.
Hello, Glastonbury: Adele to Headline 2016 Festival
Yes, that’s right. Adele is heading to Glastonbury. The singer announced the news while performing in London on Friday night, a surprise for fans everywhere. The festival confirmed the news later that night, stating that the world-renowned singer will take the stage during Saturday night for the first time. She joins the previously announced acts, Muse and Coldplay, who are playing the Friday and Sunday spots of the June 22-26 event. Cue the jealous cries of those who aren’t going to be there to witness Adele’s greatness.
Woman Up! Hear the Ultimate Girl Squad Single
Move over, Taylor Swift. We’ve got a new girl squad in town, and they are here to raise support for girls all around the world. This week, First Lady Michelle Obama announced the release of “This is For My Girls,” a single featuring nine powerhouse, chart topping ladies in support of her Let Girls Learn initiative. Kelly Clarkson, Chloe & Halle, Missy Elliott, Jadagrace, Lea Michele, Janelle Monae, Kelly Rowland, and Zendaya all lend their talent to the song, bringing together their eclectic styles for the anthem. All proceeds from the single will go to the Let Girls Learn fund in order to provide education for the 62 million girls around the world who do not attend school.
Josh Hutcherson Falls in Love (Superhero Style) in DJ Snake Video
We all know Josh Hutcherson as District 12′s favorite tribute in The Hunger Games, but what we don’t know is that he has a secret identity. The actor brought out his caped crusader side in DJ Snake’s video for “Middle” this week, donning his very own mask for the simple superhero tale. The hooded Hutcherson falls for the steampunk girl of his dreams after a night of flying around town and running up buildings. DJ Snake and Bipolar Sunshine’s track adds to the excitement with its unique beats and catchy interludes. But, when our hero wakes up the next morning, his girl is gone. Will Hutcherson find his Wonder Woman again? You’ll just have to watch the video to find out.
See What Else We’re Excited About:
- Adam Lambert surprised fans on Thursday with the release of his new single, “Welcome to the Show,” featuring Swedish singer-songwriter Laleh. The track is Lambert’s first release of 2016, hinting at a possible follow-up to his 2015 album, The Original High.
- Iggy Azalea shared her comeback single, “Team,” this week with a high energy dance team lyric video.
- Adam Young of Owl City has entered the second month of his year-long composing project where he creates a score for a specific historical event every month. While February was all about the exciting Apollo 11 launch, March takes a more sullen turn with a score for the Titantic. You can listen to all of his creations on SoundCloud.
- What singles should you be listening to? “Be Alright” by Ariana Grande, “Solitude” by M83, “No Broken Hearts” (feat. Nicki Minaj) by Bebe Rexha, and “Befour” by Zayn.
- New releases this week include Gwen Stefani’s This Is What the Truth Feels Like, Iggy Pop’s Post Pop Depression, and Han Zimmer & Junkie XL’s Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack).
Songs of the Week:
5. “Disappearing Act” – The Ready Set
4. “Big Ideas” – The Boxer Rebellion
3. “Loose Change” – Royal Blood
2. “Take a Break” – Hamilton (Original Broadway Cast Recording)
1. “The Love You’re Given” – Jack Garratt